Celebrate & Support
SAQL – pronounced ‘SHAQL’ ‘शकल’ in Hindi; شکل’ in Urdu is defined as identity, face OR form.
We have formed two groups: SAQL & SAQL+.
SAQL+ includes a plus which suggests that this group is also open for both LGBTQ+ AND their Allies (irrespective of their gender, racial and ethnic identities) to support Queer South Asians in solidarity.
Who is an Ally? Anyone who is supportive to the Queer communities.
SAQL is exclusively for Queers with South Asian ethnic identity. We offer Support and Healing Groups and Satrangi Meetups.
Our goals are the following:
- Celebrate South Asian Queer Identities
- Support LGBTQ+ Communities
- Offer Sustainable & Safe Spaces
- Engage & Provide Training to Allies
- Organize Workshops & Group Activities for SAQL Members
- Manage Art, Music & Cultural Events
- Mobilize & Walk in Pride Parade
- Exclusive South Asian Queer Support Groups
- Satrangi Meetups
- Queer Rights Advocacy
- Health Clinics
- Direct Victim Support
- Mental Health Referrals
- LGBTQ+ Basics for the Workplace
- Terminology Use
- Inclusive Language
- Training to be a Supportive Ally
- Organizational Queer Resources
The Language Around Gender
To understand the complexities of LGBTQ+, we must first understand the that gender and identity go beyond biological sex.
Office on Violence Against Women
This project was supported by grant no. 2019-X0471-MN-UW awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, US Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication, program, and exhibition are those of author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office of Violence Against Women.
SEWA-AIFW Volunteers available 24 Hours a day to answer your calls on the CRISIS HOTLINE (952) 912-9100 or EMAIL US anytime