Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC)
For Higher and Technical Education in India
The Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India is offering a scholarship to 150 students for the 2021-2022 academic year. This is a scholarship for incoming first year undergraduate students attending institutions of higher education in India.
This scholarship is available to students living in a selected 69 countries. Applicants must be aged 17-21 years as of July 31, 2021.
Below is a summary of requirements for candidacy. This page does not contain all information — that can be found by downloading the official document at the bottom of this page.
SPDC is awarded to the following four categories:
- Children of Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)/Overseas Citizens of India (OCI)
- Children of Non-Resident Indians (NRI)
- Children of Indian workers in ECR countries studied outside of India
- Children of Indian workers in ECR countries studied in India
Furthermore, candidates in any of the above categories must have passed grades 11 and 12 from abroad.
Parents’ income is also considered. This scholarship is available to students whose parents’ total monthly income is equal to $5,000 USD or less.
SPDC is only available to students committing to certain undergraduate fields/areas of study. Eligible areas of study are as follows:
- Engineering/Architecture/Technology (B.E./B.Arch./B.Tech.)
- Humanities/Liberal Arts (B.A. in Humanities/Liberal Arts)
- Commerce (B.Com.)
- Management (B.B.A./B.B.M.)
- Computers (B.C.A./I.T.)
- Journalism (Degree in Journalism)
- Hotel Management (B.H.M.)
- Agriculture/Animal Husbandry (B.E./B.Sc.)
- Sciences (B.Sc.)
- Law (L.L.B.)
- Ayurveda (Graduation in Ayurveda)
- Nursing (B.Sc. Nursing)
- Physiotherapy (B.PT.)
- Pharmacy (B.Pharma.)
After obtaining admission to a qualifying Indian institute of higher learning, students can submit their application online. Click here to access the SPDC portal. Applications are only accepted online.
Qualifying Indian institutions include:
- Central Universities of India offering undergraduate courses
- ‘A’ Grade Institutions accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) and recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC)
- National Institutes of Technology (NIT), Schools of Planning and Architecture and Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) through Direct Admissions of Students Abroad (DASA) scheme.
The final submission deadline is November 30, 2021.
Download the complete document from Ministry of External Affairs below. It is important to review all information in this document for the most complete picture of the scholarship and application process!
This page will remain until the application window is closed. Nonetheless, download this form for safekeeping.